image1 image2

BEING BELL| A WELLNESS BLOG | FIND HAPPINESS. | FIND YOUR STYLE.| FIND LOVE AND LAUGHTER.

DIY Wonder Woman Costume Under $40!

Everyone loves the month of October! The fall weather has fully kicked in, seasonal decorations are showing up in stores, and the one day of the year when you can dress up as anything you want is this month! For Halloween I thought it would be really fun to be a superhero! This year I plan on being Wonder Woman. The Amazon goddess is an icon of womanhood, gender equality, justice, and strength -- four things I'm all about! So I got crafty, and made my best DIY Wonder Woman Costume!


Supplies:
Red tank top ($3.00 at Forever 21)
2.25 yd metallic gold faux leather strap ($7.99/yard= $17.97)
2 yd jumbo gold twist rope ($3.49/yard= $6.98)
2 sheets gold glitter Cardstock ($1.24)
1 sheet Red Suede Cardstock ($0.99)
Velcro Tape ($3.49)

In total, I spent just $31.68 to make my Wonder Woman costume! I used things I already had around the house as well. You may need more or less fabric depending on your size.

Things from around the house:
Two cardboard toilet paper rolls
Yarn or some kind of string (I used a shoe string!)
Hot glue gun
Scissors
Hole Punch





1. Wonder Woman's Top
Cut two strips of metallic gold faux leather strap to glue on as the chest piece of your top. Hot glue the straps into a V-shape onto the tank top. Repeat again directly underneath the first V-shape. Some of your red tank top will be showing inside the V, so go ahead and use your scissors to cut that out. This will leave you with a nice V-neck shape tank top.

After the gold faux leather straps are glued on, cut out two triangular pieces of gold glitter Cardstock. Glue them onto the point of each V-shape you just made with the gold straps. You're done with the top!

 
2. Wonder Woman's Shorts
For the blue sequin shorts, I already had them from a New Year's Eve Party outfit I wore last year. Check out other under $10 options you can wear to stay in your $40 budget! These mini shorts are sold by SACAS on Amazon.com for $9.62.

3. Wonder Woman's Indestructible Bracelets
 Cut long-ways down each cardboard toilet paper roll. Flatten onto the gold glitter card stock and trace the shape. Cut out what you traced on the cardstock and then hot glue it to the toilet paper roll. Cut out two stars from the red suede cardstock and then glue these onto the cuff links. If your cuffs won't stay on your arm, use the hole punch to make a hole on each side and tie a string through them to keep the cuffs secure on your arm.

4. Wonder Woman's Tiara
Use the remaining gold glitter paper to cut out the shape of a tiara, like the picture above. Cut out a star from the red suede cardstock, and glue it onto the center of the tiara. Use a hole-punch to make a hole on each side and tie a string through each hole. You'll use this to fasten the crown onto your head.

5. Wonder Woman's Lasso of Truth
I lucked out that they already had this awesome gold rope at Joann Fabrics! All I had to do was tie a knot on one end and a loop on the other. If you can't find a gold rope, you can use gold spray paint on any other rope you can find.

6. Wonder Woman's Belt
Cut a length of metallic gold faux leather strap to go around your waist. Stick velcro tape to each end, one piece on the front of the strap and the other on the back. Now you can wrap the belt around your waist and the velcro will hold it together.

7. Wonder Woman’s Boots
I got these red boots for $12 at a thrift store and used white duct tape to make the design. The suede fabric clashed with the shiny materials in the rest of the outfit, so on Halloween night I plan to wear red vans or converse instead. You can wear heels, patent leather boots, or any other red shoes you might have at home. You can also purchase Wonder Woman boots or boot covers online (I’ve seen them on Amazon.com and at Party City) if you want to spend the extra money. Most of them are around $25 or more. I think any red or white  shoes will look great with this DIY costume!
 
 
I love my completed Wonder Woman costume, and I can't wait to see what other costumes people wear on Halloween! What are you going to dress up as this year? Would you rather make your own costume or buy one from a Halloween shop?
 
Lastly, here is a look at my Wonder Woman makeup! I put blue liner on the bottom lash line and dramatic black winged eyeliner on the top. Feel free to add false lashes with this dramatic look! I'm no good at gluing them on, so I left them out. I finished my Wonder Woman look with red lipstick and felt ready to save the world.

 
 


Off to save the world!
-Bell

Share this:

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

What's your style input?